Authors: Collegian Staff Report

Having not earned a team victory in nearly a month, the CSU women’s tennis team snapped a seven-match losing streak with a convincing 7-0 victory over the University of Northern Colorado Tuesday afternoon at Fossil Creek Park.

CSU (6-10, 0-6 MWC) gained early momentum with a victory by junior Lauren Stasburger and senior Hilary Tyler in the No. 1 doubles spot, defeating UNC’s Tabatha Knop and Mauela Santos 8-5.

“Northern Colorado was a good team,” CSU coach John Messick said in a statement released by the university. “We got down in first sets on a couple courts, but we stayed with it and got it done. It was good to get a win.”

Sophomores Laura Neal and Anette Pohjalainen won for the second straight time at the No. 2 doubles spot 8-3, and Sarah Seltsam and Kristen Stople came back from a 3-6 deficit in the No. 3 spot to win in a tiebreaker 9-8 (3) to complete the doubles sweep for the Rams.

“You always want to get the doubles point,” Messick said. “But if you can get a sweep, it gives you a lot of confidence going into singles.”

Indeed, that confidence carried over in to singles play.

A team-high 16th victory by freshman Catlin Fluegge in the No. 5 spot clinched the match for the Rams after victories from Tyler (6-2, 7-6), Neal (7-6, 6-1), Strasburger (7-5, 6-3) and Pohjalainen (6-4, 6-2) in the No. 1-4 spots, respectively.

Tuesday’s match was a make-up, originally scheduled for last Wednesday but postponed because of poor weather.

CSU will look for its first conference victory of the year when its hosts Wyoming Friday at 2 p.m. at Fossil Creek Park in its final home match of the year. The match was originally scheduled for today but was rescheduled on Tuesday.

The Rams own an 11-4 all-time record in the tennis version of the Border War.