Authors: Lucia Papureanu

Student organizations will join forces with community agencies to provide services to Fort Collins residents Saturday, painting houses, cleaning yards and volunteering at hospitals and nursing homes.

Jen Johnson, assistant director for Student Leadership, Involvement and Civic Engagement, stressed the importance of students giving back to their community.

“There are a lot of non-profit agencies in the community that need our help, and if students can meet that need, they should step up and do it,” Johnson said.

CSUnity is CSU’s spring, all-campus community service event and has become a lasting tradition.

“Through CSUnity, students give a lot of love and care back to the community,” said Camille Howells, a volunteer programs coordinator for the SLiCE. “And part of the outcome is also a large scale team-building event where teams can do something positive together.”

The planning committee expects about 1700 students on Saturday — 300 more than last year.

For the biggest project of the weekend, 100 students will help elderly and disabled citizens with yard work and spring-cleaning.

Other government agencies the volunteers will work with include the City of Fort Collins Parks and Streets departments, Friends of the Poudre, Fort Collins Habitat for Humanity and Poudre Valley Hospital.

CSU facilities, Howells says, will bring students from Lincoln Junior High to help CSU students painting dumpsters on campus.

“CSUnity is such a well loved tradition with an ultimate goal for CSU to be recognized nationally as a university that builds citizens known for their commitment to service,” Howells said.

Volunteers will give roughly 6800 hours of service — equal to 170 workdays or 34 weeks of work.

Britanny Geiser, a junior in Health and Exercise Science and general support staff for Greek Life who has volunteered for CSUnity the past two years, said she is excited to continue giving back to the community.

“Last year I helped an elderly couple,” Geiser said. “They we’re so nice, their biggest concern was if we were well fed, so the entire team stayed for lunch. . This is my third year and I’m excited.”

Staff writer Lucia Papureanu can be reached at news@collegian.com.