Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

As of 8 p.m. Wednesday, CSU had officially voted in two new student body leaders to head ASCSU in the 2008 – 2009 academic year.

Taylor Smoot and Quinn Girrens will be taking over as Katie Gleason and Trevor Trout step down from office.

Traditionally, we’ve seen the president’s office be used mostly for show – rarely fulfilling their campaign promises and often doing little more than serving as defacto leaders, still allowing the administration to hold the reigns.

This time, we hope Smoot and Girrens will prove us wrong.

We want to see interaction with students on a regular basis, clear communication and transparency with the campus and fulfillment of the promises that Smoot and Girrens based their platform on.

Forgive us for being skeptics, but anyone can bring a band to campus and get students rallied over live music and candy. But time can only tell whether they can do more than provide the coolest plaza show.

Though we still think the sexual assault seesaw was the best.

We’d like to encourage Taylor and Quinn to revamp the positions of president and vice president, furthering the work of Katie and Trevor and leaving big shoes for the next leaders to fill.

ASCSU is the only student voice we have. It’s important we all respect and encourage our new leaders as we look to the future, and remain active and involved even now that the election is over.

The best of luck to Smoot and Quinn. We’ll take your candy anytime.