Authors: Collegian Staff Report

Tanesha Johnson, a sophomore from Aurora, set a Tom Benich Classic record in the triple jump Saturday in Greeley with a mark of 41 feet, 2.25 inches, highlighting one of 10 first-place finishes for the CSU track and field team during the weekend meet.

Johnson also won the 400-meter dash with a time of 56.06 seconds, breaking a personal record by nearly five seconds.

“I think we had a very good day,” CSU track and field coach Brian Bedard said in a statement released by the university. “Tanesha (Johnson) had a great meet. It was great to see her run that race with confidence.”

Missy Faubus, a junior transfer from Cal, won the women’s shot put and discus, and her toss of 175 feet, one inch set a personal best in the discus.

“I think Missy Faubus had an outstanding meet,” Bedard said. “She won the shot and the discus with a huge improvement in the discus. An all-time record for her and it was her best throw in almost three years. It puts her third or fourth on our all-time.”

Niomi Ridge, a junior from Hillsboro, Ore., captured the high jump with a leap of five feet, seven inches.

“Niomi Ridge won the high jump, which was a great surprise for us. We just put her in that and she just really did a nice job,” Bedard said.

Ryan Billups, triple jump; Jason Shutz, hammer throw; Ashley Morton, pole vault; Ryan Pahlau, pole vault; Jake Keyser, 3,000-meter steeplechase and Joseph Nigel, 400-meter hurdles, also won their respective events.

The Rams return to the track Saturday in Boulder for the Colorado Invitational.