Authors: Andy Dose

A national college newspaper business organization gave Kim Blumhardt, advertising manager for the Collegian, its prestigious JoAnn Daughtee Distinguished Service award Friday for her dedication to her organization.

Blumhardt received the award at the annual Collegiate Newspaper Business and Advetisement Managers (CNBAM) conference in San Antonio, Texas.

“The timing couldn’t be any more perfect,” Blumhardt said. “This has been a really tough year for ad sales at the Collegian, and I guess that the award gives me the motivation to keep on going. It’s been a challenging year for the staff, and it’s been a challenging year for me too, and this is just kind of a nice pat on the back.”

Blumhardt, longtime student mentor for many ad staffers, has worked with Student Media and the Collegian for 19 years.

“I started in March of 1989 at the Collegian, and it’s gone fast,” Blumhardt said. “I don’t feel like I’ve been here that many years, which I guess means I enjoy what I do because it’s gone very quickly.”

Jeff Brown, director of Student Media, said Blumhardt has always been an asset to the university and has helped to provide a solid foundation for the newspaper over the years.

“Kim has been the engine that has driven Student Media for the last (19) years, Browne said. “We are very proud of what she does.”

Browne said Blumhardt has exhibited hard work and dedication through hard times for student media organizations across the country.

“Student media, in general, across the country, is faced with a real challenge of developing readers and developing sales for products that, in the general, professional media, are having to cut (budgets, etc.), and we either hold steady or we grow, depending on the particular year, and that’s all because of Kima and her hard work.”

Blumhardt will also receive the Friend of Scholastic Journalism award from the National Convention for High School Students on April 19 in Anaheim, CA, for her work as a director for the Colorado High School Press Association.

Staff writer Andy Dose can be reached at news@collegian.com.