With the NCAA March Madness tournament in full swing, it’s time for all of us to take stock of our brackets and realize once again that we know nothing about college basketball.

All the research, planning and painstaking hours we put into decisions hinged on Winthrop’s upset potential, Kevin Love’s back, and the 12-5 curse are long since busted. All that’s left is a bracket soaked in red lines and the sinking knowledge that this year’s pool is yet again destined for the person who made their picks based on which team’s mascot would win in a fight.

That’s the secret, really. No matter what you think you know, Davidson will always come out of nowhere to upset Georgetown. So enjoy it. Don’t tell war stories about how you toiled over picking Marquette to beat Stanford only to have a last-second leaner ruin everything. In the end, nobody cares about your bracket. It’s the win-or-go-home drama that brings fans back. And in the tournament, there’s plenty to go around.

Remember, loyal Ram fans, that with CSU basketball’s propensity for the early exit, there’s no harm in finding a fresh bandwagon come tourney time. If you haven’t had a chance to follow the games, it’s not too late. Underdogs like Villanova and Western Kentucky are giving us plenty of opportunity to root for the little guy. With less than one week to go, 16 teams (including one 10 and two 12 seeds) are still looking to cut down the nets.

All you have to do is pick one, sit back, relax and enjoy. When they bounce another big school from the tourney, just act like you saw it coming all along.