Authors: Collegian Staff Report

The CSU indoor track and field team had a strong showing at the Mountain West indoor championships in Colorado Springs this weekend.

The women’s team led the way for the Rams, cruising to a second-place finish, just back of Texas Christian, who came from behind to take the conference title. The Horned Frogs beat the Rams by less than eight points.

Freshman Allison Gohl finished first in the 5,000-meter run on Friday and Kristen Hemphill finished up the weekend with at victory in the 3,000-meter run Saturday.

The two victories marked the only individual titles the women would take during the meet.

CSU coach Brian Bedard didn’t think he could have asked more from his girls.

“I think our women did everything we possibly could have,” he said in a statement released by the university. “I am proud of the girls’ team. They exceeded our expectations in a lot of areas.”

The CSU men’s team finished fifth, behind a quality performance from Drew Morano. The senior won the 400-meter run with a time of 46.80 seconds. Sophomore Ryan Friese was also impressive, taking third in the 800-meter run.

Bedard was somewhat unsatisfied with the men’s team.

“I don’t think we competed aggressive enough; it was frustrating,” he said. “We had some highlights, but there is still some work to do.”

Sports reporter Adam Bohlmeyer contributed to this story and can be reached at sports@collegian.com