Authors: Edie Adams

The CSU Opera Theatre will open tonight with Giuseppe Verdi’s “Falstaff,” an operatic adaptation of Shakespeare’s “The Merry Wives of Windsor”. The performance promises many laughs and a good time for anyone with any musical background.

“Falstaff” tells the story of a boisterous and irresistible con man intent on wooing two married noblewomen at the same time. His ploy inevitably fails, however, and both women give him some hilarious comeuppance.

Todd Queen, the director of this performance, chose to set the opera in Shakespearian England, to be as close as possible to the original story. The costumes were made and the stage assembled just this past week.

Todd Resseguie, a freshman vocal music education major, sings in the chorus and plays a servant in Falstaff’s house in various scenes.

“We get to run around and act crazy,” said Resseguie. “It’s going to be hilarious.”

Some parts in the show require that the background singers do normal everyday activities, which all have to line up and be performed at precise moments during the scene. The choreography for the chorus was a lot of hard work and frustration, but it will be worth it, Resseguie said.

The talented cast of singers was selected in early November, and rehearsals began in January. Although this production has a double cast, the lead part of Falstaff will be played by guest vocalist Bradley Thompson in both sets.

Thompson has received praise from the Rocky Mountain News and others for his performances in the past and has won several vocal competitions. While he is not performing, he is a professor at Metropolitan State College of Denver, teaching courses for voice and opera studies. He has performed with professional opera companies, including Opera Colorado, and is well known for his versatility in his voice as well as his acting.

The opera will open tonight at 7:30 in the University Center for the Arts and will be performed again Saturday at the same time. There will also be two performances next weekend.

Staff writer Edie Adams can be reached verve@collegian.