Authors: Matt L. Stephens

After losing to Wyoming in Laramie on Wednesday night, the CSU women’s basketball team is set to host San Diego State Saturday afternoon at the friendly confines of Moby Arena.

The last time the Rams and SDSU met in southern California, the Aztecs (14-12, 5-9) out rebounded CSU 35-23 and forced 30 turnovers. SDSU is strong, quick and versatile and will try to hold CSU guards Sara Hunter, Kandy Beemer and Bonnie Barbee to limited shots from the perimeter, just like the last time these two teams met on Jan 30.

CSU (2-24, 0-13) is going to have to make a defensive adjustment when the Aztecs come to Fort Collins. The past two games the Rams have gone with a man-to-man defense due to Air Force and Wyoming’s style of offense, but due to SDSU’s speed, things are going to change back to what Ram fans are used to seeing out of this team, the zone.

“Against San Diego we will do some zone because they’re a little quick,” Amaka Uzomah said. “I know for sure we’ll try some man, but mainly the zone.”

Uzomah feels confident in her team’s ability to play man-defense when needed after seeing CSU run it efficiently the past two games.

Other than SDSU’s speed, the Rams will try to shutdown 6-foot-4 freshman center Paris Johnson, who is coming off a conference-high 20-point performance in the Aztecs’ win over Nevada-Las Vegas Wednesday night.

“Our game plan Saturday, first of all, is (when) we play well, we play as a team.” CSU coach Jen Warden said. “(SDSU) has not played as well on the road as they’ve played at home . this is a tough match-up for our post players. What I like is every time I pull an old game film out of our last match-up, I say, ‘wow, Amaka’s so different, wow, Emily’s so different, wow, Elle’s so different.’ and we’ve just developed so much.”

CSU’s Juanise Cornell feels that the Rams will have an advantage over the Aztecs due to them coming up to altitude from sea level.

Saturday’s 2 p.m. game is one of two remaining home games for the Rams, who are looking to end a program-record 17-game losing streak.

Sports writer Matt L. Stephens can be reached at sports@collegian.com.