Poetry at CSU

Authors: Griffin Faust

The Creative Writing Program at CSU is welcoming poet Chris Arigo and nonfiction writer and poet Jacqueline Lyons tonight for this installment of the Spring 2008 Reading Series.

The event is scheduled to take place at 7:30 p.m. today in the Hatton Gallery in the Visual Arts Building. The poetry reading is free to the public. A reception with refreshments and book signing will follow the reading.

Arigo and Lyons are both graduates of the M.F.A. program at CSU and have continued their education elsewhere since.

Arigo obtained his masters from CSU in 2000 and currently teaches at University of Nevada – Las Vegas while he works toward a Ph.D.This poet’s first collection book is titled “Lit Interim” which was published in 2003.

About one year ago Arigo published “In the Archives,” a poetry collection that explores the process of accumulating knowledge.

Currently, Arigo is working on a new publication which he expects to read from tonight, in combination with already published poems. Arigo struggles with categorizing his poetry.

“Ultimately all poetry is nature poetry,” he said.

Arigo will be sharing the stage with his wife, CSU master’s graduate Jacqueline Lyons.

Originally from outside Eau Claire, Wis., Lyons now lives in Las Vegas, Nev. with Arigo after accomplishing a Ph.D. at University of Utah – Salt Lake City, Utah.

Her latest book release is titled “The Way They Say Yes Here” and is largely influenced by her experiences and relationships in southern Africa. Lyons hasn’t decided what she will be reading tonight yet, but at least some of her poetry will be from her new works.

Both authors agreed that much of their recent writing has developed from spending time in the Mojave Desert; poems about the mythos of the West and desert.

“Poetry has a lot to do with responding to the places you’ve been, locations and its people,” Lyons said.

Staff writer Griffin Faust can be reached at verve@collegian.com.