Authors: Collegian Staff Report

The CSU softball team headed to the University of San Diego Tournament expecting to play another five games in three days, instead they played only three.

The Rams (11-2, 0-0) started the tournament under rainy conditions Friday in San Diego. Despite multiple delays, they were able to shut out UC-Riverside, 11-0, beating them for the second time this season.

Senior Cayte Billman threw a complete game, allowing only two hits, to record her third shut out of the season and improved to 5-0 on the season.

Freshman Caitlan Stem and sophomore Allison Majam scored a combined five runs, while senior Julia Kloppe went 2-for-3 and drove in a pair of runs.

Reigning conference Player of the Week Lauren Cusick’s eight game hitting streak came to an end, but she still put drove in two runs for the Rams.

Saturday the Rams split two games, losing to Loyola Marymount, 1-0 and beating Nevada, 3-2.

Against LMU, pitcher Kim Klabough allowed five hits. The winning run got on base on an error and was brought home on a two-out single. The Rams managed only three hits, one each by Cusick and sophomores Ashley Munoz and Robyn Mask.

The offense started clicking in the sixth inning of the Nevada game. It was then, with CSU down 2-0, that freshman Eranne Daugharthy singled, driving home Munoz. Later in that inning, sophomore Kayla Kreutzman drove in the last two runs, Billman and Mask, with a double.

Due to inclement weather, the team was not able to play their games scheduled for Sunday against Marshall and tournament host San Diego. They were originally to play USD on Friday, but the game was rescheduled due to rainy conditions.

The games are not expected to be rescheduled.

The Rams will return to the field March 8 with a doubleheader against Utah State.