Authors: Sean Reed

Sophomore computer science major Johnny Baumgardner sat down with Collegian Sunday and shared his opinion on why a student fee increase for the Rec. Center is not something he is interested in.

Q: Do you support the Rec. Center expansion?

A: I think it would be . nice to have some extra equipment and stuff to play with and have around, I guess. It’s kind of small over there as it is, especially if everyone’s over there.

Q: Do you support using to student fees to fund that expansion?

A: See, there’s too many student fees, I think. If you ever check your RamWeb or your financial information there’s always, like, little tiny stupid-ass fees that they put. There’s always something else that’s on your tuition bill. You know. How much would it be extra?

Q: $35.

A: $35 just per semester? See, like $35 bucks, that goes a long way. That’s a lot of Subway — that’s like, 50 cases of Ramen, you know? And especially [for] college kids who have to pay their own way. That’s where I stand with that. I don’t know about the student fees. I think the school makes enough money.

Q: Do you think there are any school programs that warrant a fee increase?

A: You know, I’m not sure . Student fees when their actually used for the services they’re paying for.

Q: Do you use the Rec. Center?

A: I do, when I get the time. I study, like, 28 hours a day, so I don’t have any time to do anything. But, yeah, I use the Rec. Center . I’m just not in their every day.

Q: What do you do when you go to the Rec. Center?

A: I’m a martial arts guy. I’ve done martial arts for like 14-15 years. And the martial area is, like, this big [indicates a space about the size of a small table], and the rest of everything is just, you know. There’s like 15 basketball courts and the weight center. But that’s where I stay, over there. I’ll go lift every now and again, but that’s about it.

Q: Excluding the small area for martial arts, would you say you feel the facilities are adequate?

A: You know, it’s just like any other place. It has its busy times where it’s just so packed you just walk in the door and you just walk right back out. It’s like, ‘oh my God, what are you people doing here?’ I don’t know . I think it could be a little bit bigger. I’m not sure if we would need like a whole new . huge facility, because I don’t how many people use it that often.

Don’t we have, like, two pools already? I think there’s a pool in the Moby Sports Complex and a pool in the Rec. Center, and I never see anybody in the pool. Ever. They’re all in the hot tub. We need more hot tubs.

Q: Will you be at the ASCSU meeting on Wednesday at 6 p.m. to voice your opinion on the fee increase?

A: I don’t know, maybe — if I’m not studying.

Freshman biomedical sciences major Danielle Harless was kind enough to take a couple minutes out of her Sunday to chat with the Collegian about why she think a student fee increase for expanding the Student Recreation Center is not such a bad idea. Here’s what she had to say:

Q: Do you support the Rec. Center expansion proposal?

A: I think so. It will probably keep people from going off-campus to a rec. facility. And the amount of the increase is going to be the amount we’re going to be paying to go anywhere else, anyway.

Q: So you support it because the amount of the increase would be comparable to what you would be paying elsewhere?

A: Yeah, it’s not unreasonable . all and if they’re going to expand it, they’re going to do it some way. So, you might as well use what resources you have, I guess.

Q: Are their any other programs that you feel would warrant a student fee increase?

A: I’m sure the fees could go somewhere else … But I think there’s a lot of people that are in support of it. And that if a lot of people are willing to pay for it, I think . especially if the money could also be used for something else, we can — if we’re willing to pay for one thing like that, we can probably pay for other things as well.

Q: Are their any changes you would personally like to see made in the expansion?

A: I don’t know. I like it a lot as it is. I go there a lot — I’m happy with it. I don’t really know that we need an expansion, but I guess if we’re going to expand it we’re expecting maybe more students eventually. And if that’s the case then we can get it done now, I guess.

Q: So would you say the facilities we have now are adequate?

A: Yeah. I don’t think we need a big change like this, but if its what people want to happen and we’re all willing to pay for it then we might as well go ahead with it.

Q: Will you be going to the ASCSU meeting Wednesday night when they make the final decision?

A: Probably not. I don’t know . I think the outcome’s going to be what it’s going to be. And I don’t think my opinion’s strong enough one way or the other to really get involved. That sounds really bad.