Authors: Matt L. Stephens

With the worst record in program history, the CSU women’s basketball team heads south Sunday to face Interstate 25 rival Air Force, just north of Colorado Springs.

After falling for the 15th consecutive time Wednesday night, the Rams (2-22, 0-11) will be facing a Falcon team that serves as CSU’s best chance to grab the elusive conference victory that has been plaguing them for, as of today, one full calendar year.

A win at the Air Force Academy won’t come as easily as it may have in the past, as AFA was the last place CSU won a road game. The Falcons (8-16, 2-10) have won the last two contests with CSU, including a 13-point victory at Moby Arena where AFA held Sara Hunter scoreless for the first time all season.

“I think we can do it,” CSU junior center Amaka Uzomah said. “We just need to come together and realize it’s Air Force; we can’t play timid, we have to play to our potential. Every game you’ve seen starting the (second half of conference play), we’ve been there, we’ve came out strong, we’ve been up there-We just gotta play the full forty minutes.”

Playing all 40 minutes may be more of an issue for the CSU coaching staff to emphasize than shooting fundamentals for the remaining six games scheduled in 2008. While the Rams have only led at the half once in Mountain West Conference action, they have been closer than arms reach virtually every game after the first 20-minute half-it’s the latter 20 minutes that haunts them.

“I am still kind of (confused) on why we came out tentative last game because we scouted their switching man (defense) for two days,” CSU coach Jen Warden said. “We spotted them thirteen points and lost by thirteen, so I think if we go ahead and play it even from the tip this time we might have a little better luck.”

In the first game against Air Force this year, the Rams struggled from the point guard position, but most effective was freshman Zoi Simmons. Simmons received a concussion in practice this past Saturday and sprained her ankle after playing less than two minutes in Wednesday evening’s game versus TCU. She left Moby Arena Wednesday night wearing a boot, but Warden said that Simmons should be able to go by Sunday.

It will take all their effort, but Sunday afternoon’s game at Air Force is a game the Rams need to win if they want any type of momentum before the MWC Tournament on March 11.