Authors: Edie Adams

Officials have expressed disappointment with the turnout at this year’s Mountain West Conference Blood Drive, lower compared to previous years.

CSU is competing against the other eight schools in the MWC to see which school could donate the most blood. Results of the competition won’t be available until early March, officials said.

This year, CSU totaled 41 pints of useable blood, a lower result compared to the 98 pints of blood collected in 2007, in which CSU won the competition.

Diane Apple, the Mobile Coordinator for the event, said one reason for the lack of donors, Apple said, was the previous presence of Bonfils Blood Center, which had been on campus last week collecting donations.

Angela Wyss, the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee Coordinator, said that there had been little time between the start of the spring semester and now , and as such, advertising for the blood drive had been slim.

“We picked this date because there were no home events.and it was one of only three dates that the health center was available to come,” Wyss said.

Flyers for the event were made and distributed just last week. Wyss said that the overall competition had been struggling to collect at the other universities it had taken place at. The competition takes place in January and February, and each school sets its own date for donations.

To bring the staff to CSU, the blood donation center at Poudre and other locations had to be closed for the day.

“I’m worried that this might be a waste of manpower,” Apple said. The school with the most blood donated will be announced in early March, and it will be allowed to keep the floating trophy of the competition for one year. Its school logo will also be placed in the third of ten spots on the trophy.

Apple said one pint of blood can save up to three people, which means that CSU still managed to provide for 123 potential recipients. Last year, a total of 543 pints was collected from all nine MWC schools.

Sarah Beyer, a freshman sports medicine major, donated for the first time at the event. The staff talked her through the donation, keeping her calm and comfortable throughout the process, which Beyer said shouldn’t be a scary process.

“It’s for a good cause,” Beyer said. “It helps a lot of people.” The blood from CSU will stay in Northern Colorado, said Apple, and will be distributed to several hospitals and health centers depending on their needs.

“We’re very proud of this no matter what the numbers are,” said Wyss. “You never know who’s life you’re going to save by doing this.”

Staff writer Edie Adams can be reached at news@collegian.com.