As CSU students will undoubtedly scurry about campus today, reciting love poems, memorizing too-cool lines and debating which scent of candle would do the trick, it’s easy to get caught up in the excitement of an entire day devoted solely to love.

For some single folk, it’s not about love today, but we all sense the aura of companionship, intimacy and, of course, sex on Valentine’s Day.

And there’s more out there to fear than cupid’s arrow: Herpes, syphilis, HIV/AIDS, gonorrhea, Chlamydia, unwanted pregnancy or worse — an unwanted relationship.

While there’s little in the way of advice for those stags or does that got hit on love day, there’s always that nifty insurance to be sure this VD doesn’t haunt you for life. Use protection.

For those who want to make tonight a little extra special, between stops at Victoria’s Secret and the flower store, a quick hit at the 7-11 could be the best decision you ever made.

Perhaps this caveat is better suited for New Year’s or Spring Break, but there’s never a bad time to start wearing your helmet.

And, of course, for those whose connection reaches beyond the bounds of physical intimacy — engineering majors, mostly — there’s always abstinence. Nothing says I love you like a good six-inch rule. No deposit, no return, right? It’s a safe bet.

So, go on you stalwart Rams, on to the goal! Just stay out of the red zone.

Happy Valentines Day, CSU.