Authors: Cece Wildeman

Nine million people in the United States suffer from eating disorders, and of that nine million, about 10 percent are males according to the first-ever national eating disorder survey, distributed by the Eating Disorders Coalition.

As a part of the annual February programs on eating disorders, CSU is bringing “Musclebound,” a multimedia presentation on male eating disorders, to the Lory Student Center at 7 p.m. on Feb. 13.

“This is important because college students are pretty concerned with their bodies and how they look,” said Deb Morris, director of health promotions at Hartshorn Health Services.

Hartshorn has always worked to include a program about male eating disorders, and “Musclebound” is another way to kick off discussion about body image and eating disorders, Morris said.

Tamar Cline, fitness assistant director at the student recreation center, said the Campus Recreation Center has seen cases of over-training. If someone is seen over-training, Rec. Center employees will sit down and discuss the individuals’ training goals, Cline said. They will then give suggestions and inform the person of safety measures that need to be taken while training.

Outside of her work at the Rec. Center, Cline is a member of the eating disorder team at CSU. The team consists mainly of medical professionals, nutritionists and counselors. They work to assist those with eating disorders as well as those who know people with eating disorders.

“The CSU campus has been working to provide services since there has been an issue,” Cline said.

Even though there hasn’t been an increase in numbers, many cases go undetected, she said.

There is very little research done on eating disorders, said Marc Lerro, executive director of the Eating Disorder Coalition. Results of the abovementioned survey show that binge eating is the most prevalent in both males and females, followed by bulimia and anorexia.

National numbers are rising for eating disorders among gay males and athletes especially, said Danielle Oakley, associate director of the CSU counseling center.

As a part of the eating disorders team on campus, Oakley said she has seen male clients, but does not think CSU has seen an increase in numbers of males with eating disorders because they often have a hard time asking for help with the issue.

“Eating disorders become undeniably apparent in college,” Lerro said. “(Eating disorders) may be masked for a long time but in college there may be more stress or social pressure, so they may become more severe.”

Senior Reporter Cece Wildeman can be reached at news@collegian.com.