Authors: Kris Kote

It came a semester late, but the Career Center held its grand opening celebration at its Lory Student Center office Monday.

Renee Welch, assistant director of Career Counseling Services said the office, which is located next to Sweet Sinsations on the first floor, was designed to offer a more locally available area for students to come in search of help or advice with their career choices.

“We want it to be more convenient for students,” Welch said. “Here, we’re closer and students can be in and out faster.”

The office is designed to accept walk-in sessions to help students with question and answer issues they may have. Students can also set appointments with counselors for more in-depth meetings.

The main office for The Career Center is located at 105 Ammons Hall, on the Oval, an area typically out of the way for most students.

In recent years a counselor was also stationed at the Wellness Zone in order to address walk-in sessions. However, since the center opened its office in the student center at the beginning of the Fall 2007 semester, there has been a drastic increase in the number of visitors to the center.

“We’ve easily doubled and nearly tripled the amount of walk-ins,” Career Counseling Services Director E. Ann Malen said. “This location is doing really great for us.”

The celebration Monday afternoon appeared to be very successful at drawing in many new students who passed by.

Tiffany Richards, a senior communications major, said that the celebration was what got her attention and brought her into the center.

“I’ve been meaning to go in to the main center for a while, it’s just so out of the way,” Richards said. “When I saw the office right here it was real easy to come in.”

Robert Mitchell, a senior international studies major, said she believed the student center location was a great idea.

“I think it’s good that they are making themselves more available to students,” Mitchell said.

The Career Center’s services are funded by student fees and are therefore free to all students and first-year graduates.

Richards said she thought it was important for students to take advantage of the services available to them.

“It’s really important for students to know what’s out there,” she said. “I have friends who are finding jobs now the wish they would have known about before, that’s something the center could help with.”

Staff writer Kris Kote can be reached at news@collegian.com.