Authors: Matt L. Stephens

The CSU women’s basketball team lost its 13th consecutive game Saturday at the hands of UNLV, 76-68.

The Rams (2-20, 0-9) appeared to do everything right in the first half against the Lady Rebels (7-15, 3-6) and everything right, minus one, in the second. They had a conference season-low 13 turnovers, shot over 40 percent from behind the arc, grabbed 16 offensive rebounds and even had four players in double digit scoring.

While holding only their fourth halftime lead of the season and keeping the Mountain West Conference’s leading scorer, Sequoia Holmes, to a mere five first-half points, it almost seemed that with every break CSU was receiving, in the end, it would have to go the Rams’ way.

“We went into halftime with the lead, which is not very common for us, and having that taste in your mouth and being so close is tough,” Rams senior point guard Sara Hunter said. “You know, we need a win, and we should have had it tonight, but.”

The second half was almost a duplicate of its predecessor with the omission of Holmes’ offensive struggle.

Holmes, whose shooting mechanics were reminiscent of New Mexico’s Dionne Marsh from just three nights prior to Saturday’s game, went off for 17 second-half points thanks in part to her athleticism on the low post and her ability to get to the free-throw line.

“[Holmes] has to work a little bit more for her shot in the zone,” Rams freshman forward Elle Queen said. “She’s got a quick first step, and she’s one of those players who you have to have a hand up in every one of her shots.”

Queen and Hunter were the Rams’ two biggest bright spots against UNLV. Queen earned her second career double-double with scoring “12’s” in both the scoring and rebounding columns and even added a game-high five assists. Hunter had her first true scoring breakout since the Rams’ victory over Pacific on Dec. 4, as she scored a game-high 23 points with 21 of those coming from 3-point range.

“I think this and Wyoming are the best basketball games we’ve played this year,” coach Jen Warden said. “I think this game is a little different for us because we don’t lose games on defense – that’s an unfamiliar territory for us.”

With the loss on Saturday afternoon making the winless streak at a baker’s dozen, CSU comes in danger of reaching the longest single season streak of its kind in school history pending the outcome of Wednesday night’s game against Brigham Young in Provo, Utah.

Player of the game:

Elle Queen – F – Freshman

12 points, 12 rebounds, 5 assists

(second career double-double)

Outside shooting: A

Inside shooting: B-

Rebounding: A

Defense: C

Hustle: A+