Authors: Matt L. Stephens

The CSU women’s basketball team’s losing streak reached a dozen Wednesday, and Saturday the Rams will be trying to avoid a trip to the bakery against UNLV.

Tip-off with the Lady Rebels marks the first game of the second half of the conference season, and CSU has plans to avenge its controversial 57-55 loss to UNLV exactly one month ago.

“We’re ready for this weekend. We got cheated out of Las Vegas; I’m ready and my teammates are ready,” Rams junior forward Amaka Uzomah said. “Even if I have to yell at everybody, we’re not going to fall to UNLV.”

Uzomah’s talk about being cheated in January at UNLV is from a last-second play in which Kandy Beemer was blatantly fouled during a screen play at the buzzer with no call. If she had made the two free throws following the call, the game would have gone to overtime with momentum very much in favor of CSU.

If the Rams are to lose Saturday afternoon, it would tie the school’s longest single season losing streak of 13 set by Paul Havenar’s 1977 team that played in the IAIAW (Indiana Association of Intercollegiate Athletics for Women).

Losing obviously is not CSU’s plan, but to win they are going to have to key in on the play of the Mountain West’s leading scorer, Sequoia Holmes, who averages nearly 18 points per game.

“The most important thing you need to understand as a basketball player and as a person is that it’s not what happened to you, it’s how you respond to it,” CSU coach Jen Warden said. “Whatever experience we felt we came out of at UNLV, it doesn’t mean anything, but what does matter is how we respond to the experience and how we make that into our future.”

With the bitter loss to the Lady Rebels back on Jan. 9 being senior guard Sara Hunter’s 100th career game, she is more than ready for Saturday and had something to say about this match-up in Wednesday night’s post-game press conference.

“Thank God we get to have a second round,” she said.

Sports writer Matt L. Stephens can be reached at sports@collegian.com.

CSU:

Sara Hunter – G – , 9.7

Bonnie Barbee – G – , 4.0

Britney Minor – F – 5.9

Juanise Cornell – F – 7.9

Amaka Uzomah – C – 2.5

Hunter mug:

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/csu/sports/w-baskbl/auto_headshot/1457107.jpeg

UNLV:

Allison Holiday – G – 5-6- 3.8

Dominique Harris – G – 5-10 – 7.9

Shamela Hampton – C -6-3 10.8

Raquel Jupiter – F -6-1 1.4

Sequoia Holmes – F – 6-1 17.9

Homles mug:

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/unlv/sports/w-baskbl/auto_headshot/1540862.jpeg