Authors: Mattew Pucak

Rams Take on Lobos in “the Pit”

The CSU men’s basketball team has struggled mightily to get wins this year, as they are winless in conference and true road games, and tonight the Rams will be looking to break both of those streaks as they travel to “the Pit” in New Mexico for another tough conference battle.

The Rams (6-15, 0-7 in the MWC) historically have had little success in the hostile arena against the Lobos (16-6 overall, 3-4), but CSU prevailed in last season’s match-up 88-79, giving CSU their first win at “the Pit” since 1993.

Both teams are struggling coming into the game, as the Rams are on an eight-game losing streak and New Mexico has dropped four of their last six games, after starting the season 14-2.

New Mexico is led by Kansas-transfer J.R. Giddens, a senior guard who is averaging 13.1 points per game, and junior shooting guard Chad Toppert, who averages 10.7 points.

The lone highlight of CSU’s last game, a loss at home to Utah, was guard Marcus Walker, whose 23-point game continued his torrid pace in conference play.

While Walker’s scoring is important to the Rams, they will have to find more second and third scoring options to help Walker if they want to get a win, as Flynn Clayman was the second highest scoring Ram in the loss, scoring just eight points.

After CSU’s 67-52 loss to Utah on Saturday, head coach Tim Miles stated he was “embarrassed” by the lack of hustle his team showed. He then went on to further criticize his team, upset by the fact that they were never really in the game, doomed by a 33-13 Utah lead at halftime.

The Rams were unavailable for comment after Saturday’s game and couldn’t be reached Monday because of travel.