Authors: Ian Bezek

Change has been a key theme for many of this year’s presidential candidates.

After the disastrous Bush presidency, Americans are rightfully yearning for a new direction in American politics.

Voters should realize, though, that most career politicians, while mouthing platitudes about change, are just plotting a path towards the power and prestige of the presidency, but not Ron Paul.

Unlike the horde of trial lawyers turned politicians that have descended upon Washington, Dr. Paul is an average American of modest upbringing. Paul had to deliver milk and start a coffee shop to afford to pay for college.

After his military service ended, Paul settled down and began his medical career delivering babies in a small city in Texas.

Paul didn’t have to rely on connections and flashy campaigns to get elected to Congress; he had already earned the respect and trust of thousands of mothers across his district.

Paul hasn’t had to sell his soul to big business to get elected, either. A large portion of his campaign funding came from small donations from ordinary Americans.

Paul has also had to overcome a virtual blackout from the corporate media, and I’m quite sure he won’t treat that corrupt oligarchy with kid gloves when he is elected.

He also owes no favors to the Republican Party bosses.

Paul has forcefully opposed Republican-led blunders such as the No Child Left Behind program, the Patriot Act and the Iraq War. Paul’s allegiance is to America and the Constitution rather than any individual, corporation, or government entity.

Many are confused as to what changes Paul wants to make when he is elected, but at a Colorado Springs rally Friday, he made his plans clear.

His main emphasis during the speech was on foreign policy.

Paul is calling for a return to a foreign policy that protects America without engaging in extracurricular activities.

For example, he supported the invasion of Afghanistan because the Taliban was directly responsible for 9/11. However, Paul does not support the war in Iraq and has called for troops to be brought home.

In general, Paul is cautious about using the military. This caution, however, does not come from ignorance, cowardice or apathy. Paul is an ardent support of our military and was a flight surgeon during the Vietnam War.

People like President Bush dodged military service and yet talk a big game on how tough they are. Paul on the other hand proudly served, and knows our friends and family who serve as ordinary people, rather than faceless expendable soldiers.

While foreign policy was the centerpiece of Paul’s speech, he also spoke at length about the economy.

In his speech, Paul demonstrated a thorough understanding of economic policy and is disheartened by the obstacles government has created that hinder economic progress. He advocates the simplification of the tax code, the elimination of the income tax, and the creation of a small-business friendly environment.

If you’ve traveled outside America, filled up your gas tank, or purchased food recently, you’ve surely noticed the destructive impact of inflation on your wallet. In his speech, he set fighting inflation and defending the value of the dollar as a top priority.

He also plans to tighten the government’s belt to balance the budget to save our generation from having to pay off trillions more in national debt when we are older.

The overarching theme of his speech was upholding the Constitution. The Founders never intended for our government to fall trillions of dollars into debt or slaughter thousands of Iraqi civilians.

I urge all registered Republicans to vote for Ron Paul in their caucus tomorrow. A vote for Paul is a vote for a smaller government that returns to upholding Constitutional law.

Ian Bezek is a sophomore economics major. His column appears Mondays in the Collegian. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.