Authors: Jeff Dillon

Fans of Ram athletics – be warned. The following could bring violent flashbacks to football losing streaks of not-so-long ago. It was close but yet again not enough for the Rams on the road. Different sport, same result.

A 12-2 run to start the second half torpedoed what looked to be a promising effort for the struggling men’s basketball team, as they dropped their 13th straight road game this season to the Air Force Falcons (11-7, 3-2 MWC) Tuesday night, 75-59.

The Rams (6-12, 0-4 MWC) entered the break down by one, 29-28, but shot just 33.3 percent in the second half to the Falcons’ 63.2 percent.

Coach Tim Miles told Rich Bircumshaw of 560 AM-KLZ after the game that more players need to step into the scorer’s role if the Rams want to have more success.

“I thought we played 32 pretty good minutes of basketball,” Miles said. “We just aren’t showing enough firepower right now to dig out of hole after hole.”

Tim Anderson, the Falcons senior guard out of El Paso, Texas, was at another level for most of the game, dropping 12 points in the first six minutes of the second half on his way to 26 total points, three rebounds, three steals and two assists.

The first half, as it was in last Saturday’s game against Texas Christian, was completely dominated by junior Ram guard Marcus Walker. Walker scored 15 points in the first 15 minutes, before slowing down considerably in the last 25 minutes. Walker finished the game with 23 points while notching two assists.

Walker said after the game that the team was playing well for most of the first half, but couldn’t recover from the early Falcon’s run out of the break.

“Just another meltdown,” Walker said during the radio interview. “We went down 10 and it’s hard to come back, especially in conference play.against a team that’s at home, that’s got the crowd in it, and is knocking down shots.”

Continuing to start in place of injured senior center Stuart Creason was sophomore Ronnie Aguilar. Aguilar finished with nine points and six boards. The Rams picked up good production from their bench, led by freshman Jesse Woodard with 13 points and two steals.

“0-4 in conference – it can’t get no worse. It can only get better,” Walker said. “I just think that everyone needs to stop thinking and just play.”

The Rams will be on the road again this weekend as they travel to Laramie for the first installment of the two-part Border War with the Wyoming Cowboys. Game time is set for 2 p.m. on Saturday.

Stats:

CSU –

FG 20-50 (40%)

3-pt 6-23 (26.1%)

FT 13-15 (86.7%)

Reb (Off/Def) 22 (5/17)

Turnovers 12

Player of the Game:

Marcus Walker – 23 points, 2 assists, 1 steal, 1 block, 36 min

AF –

FG 20-41 (48.8%)

3-pt 6-14 (42.9%)

FT 29-32 (90.6)

Reb (Off/Def) 31 (5/26)

Turnovers 11

Player of the Game:

Tim Anderson – 26 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 steals, 40 min.