Authors: Lance Moorman

FORT WORTH, Texas- The CSU women’s basketball team continued its season-long struggle throughout the winter break, losing all six games and extending its losing streak to seven. The Rams were handed their seventh consecutive loss Saturday, falling to the Texas Christian Horned Frogs, 70-52.

First half offensive struggles put the Rams (2-14, 0-3 MWC) down early as they shot 8-26 to open up, watching TCU bury 13-31, five of which came from beyond the arc.

After a 20-6 TCU run, setting its lead at 38-20 going into halftime, the Rams came out of the gates shooting much better in the second half. Freshman Bonnie Barbee and senior Sara Hunter led the second half charge, notching nine and eight points, respectively, down the stretch; the team shot 44 percent.

The Rams fell victim, though, to 6-foot-2 Iceland native Helen Sverrisdottir of TCU who brought second half power of her own, scoring 11 of her career-high 20 points in the game’s final 20 minutes.

CSU junior transfer Amaka Uzomah set a career high of her own in the contest with 10 rebounds and five offensive, leading all in the contest.

“Rebounding is all about effort and desire, and she does a great job giving us extra possessions,” said CSU forward Elle Queen.

Missed free-throws and turnovers told the story of the Rams’ defeat as they shot 6-16 from the line and gave up 25 possessions.

“Part of the reason we had so many turnovers was due to TCU’s pressure defense and athleticism,” Queen said. “Free throws as a team are something that we are consistently working on. It’s definitely something that we need to improve on in order to win conference games.”

The next conference opportunity for the Rams comes Wednesday, as they play host to Air Force (6-10, 0-4 MWC) at Moby Arena. Tip off is at 7 p.m.

Sports writer and KCSU broadcaster Lance Moorman can be reached at sports@collegian.com.