Authors: Jeff Dillon, Sean Star

Steve Fairchild, the 19th CSU head football coach in program history and the man chosen to replace coaching legend Sonny Lubick, said next fall the Rams will play “an exciting brand of football” with a physical offense and a sound-tackling defense during a Jan. 4 press conference at the McGraw Athletic Center.

It was the first time Fairchild spoke to the media in person since being hired the second week of December.

The former assistant under Lubick said he plans to build on the foundation his predecessor created though hard work, character and discipline.

“You know, we’re not just going to come to camp in August and decide that we’re going to practice hard and beat CU,” Fairchild said. “Things start now, and it’s my job, wherever it is, to make it better the next day.”

While many players took advantage of time off and returned home for the break, Fairchild remained a busy man.

The day after the Jan. 4 press conference, Fairchild was introduced to the public at halftime of the men’s basketball game against UNLV, a contest in which the Rams lost, 65-62.

And a week after that, Fairchild completed the rest of his new coaching staff.

Fairchild also announced that Marc Lubick will coach the team’s tight ends next fall. Lubick has previously served as the wide receivers coach.

“Colorado State is a really special place to play football,” Fairchild said in a release. “That fact was reinforced to me over the last few weeks, judging by the level of interest among quality individuals who wanted to coach for us. We were patient, and we hired the best of that group.”

Then on Monday, the athletic department announced that Fairchild and the Rams will host a recruiting reception on Feb. 6, the National Letter of Intent Signing Day, at the Hilton hotel.

The event starts at 5 p.m. and will feature a video presentation of players who have committed to play for the Rams. Those planning on attending the event must purchase a ticket and RSVP the athletic department by noon on Feb. 1.

Sports writers Jeff Dillon and Sean Star can be reached at sports@collegian.com.

Breakout Info Box

Fairchild completes his coaching staff

New Hire Coaching Position Most recent coaching job

Curtis Modkins offensive coordinator Georgia Tech, running backs

Tim Duffie cornerbacks UTEP, safeties

Larry Lewis safeties/special teams Idaho State, head coach

Pat Meyer offensive line Florida State, strength coach

Greg Peterson wide receivers/recruiting Washington State, tight ends/recruiting

Daren Wilkinson quarterbacks South Dakota State, quarterbacks

Scott Brown defensive line Duke, defensive line