Authors: Lance Moorman

After 17 points, 13 boards and a show time block, Rams sophomore forward Juanise Cornell’s career high day in both categories were not enough for CSU women’s basketball team to overcome the Weber State Wildcats Saturday as they fell, 61-50.

A very competitive first half for both teams saw six ties as the Rams found a big spark behind Cornell. She followed up a shot clock-beating 18-foot jump shot with a vicious perimeter block against Wildcat guard Sarah Tuomi, bringing the CSU bench to life.

“I think it gave my team energy and confidence that I was playing hard and was willing to do whatever it took for us to be successful and that they could do the same,” Cornell said.

After halftime the Rams came out firing behind the sharp shooting of junior guard Kandy Beemer, who scored six quick points in the first five minutes. Ram turnovers and four consecutive 3-point buckets from the Wildcats, though, put Colorado State at the short end of a 20-3 run.

CSU put up a final fight with Cornell scoring six -straight points down the stretch, but Weber State efficiently bled the clock during the final minutes, holding on to its 11-point victory.

“Somewhere in the second half, we lost that fire,” Cornell said. “We’re going to have to grow in the next 10 days.”

The Rams are in action again on Dec. 18, as they travel to Moscow, Idaho, to take on the University of Idaho Vandals before traveling west to face Portland on Dec. 21.

Staff writer Lance Moorman can be reached at sports@collegian.com.