Q &A Crystal Vigil

Authors: Layrel Berch

The big, yellow hat is spinning on ice this week to keep up with graduating senior Crystal Vigil. Vigil is a psychology and sociology major with an emphasis in criminology. The Collegian sat down with Vigil and learned of her goal of joining the FBI, history of philanthropy and passion for figure skating. Vigil’s next stop: Miss Congeniality on Ice?

Q: How long have you been ice skating?

A: I was a figure skater for almost 10 years. I quit when I was in high school because the practices were so early in the morning, and I was going to have to be at school at 7 in the morning and I’d have to go ice skating before that. That was just killer. Then I started taking the (ice skating) class this semester and then started doing a lot of stuff again.

Q: What is the ice skating class that is offered at CSU like?

A: It’s really fun. There are three instructors and they have it split up between the advanced, the beginner and the people in the middle (skill level). It’s nice because there’s a lot of individual attention and they do stuff like ice dancing and ‘synchro’.

Q: Are you a part of either of those?

A: Yeah, I’m part of the synchronized skating team.

Q: Is that affiliated with CSU?

A: Yes. It’s really weird because it’s the first semester that they’ve done it, so technically it’s a club sport but you have to go a year before it gets officially recognized by the school.

Q: When did you start skating for the team?

A: It started the second week of September.

Q: Tell me more about that.

A: We started out doing a fun program for the hockey team, and we were performing between periods at least at a couple hockey games. We started putting together a competition piece. It’s like an Irish kind of one and so it’s kind of flowy. . So that will be fun. Hopefully we’ll be competing in the spring because that’s the big competition season.

Q: Is synchronized skating anything like synchronized swimming?

A: Yeah, you hold each other in a line and you do kick lines. You can do spirals in lines and circles. It’s pretty cool. I think it’s cooler than swimming because it’s faster, but I don’t know because I’ve never really seen synchronized swimming.

Q: What are your goals for the future?

A: I’m hoping right now to get a job in the criminal justice system because I graduate (this week.) . I am hoping to apply for the FBI in a couple years. You have to be 23 and I’m 21 so I have a couple years before I can even apply. I kind of want to do something where I can travel.

Q: Do you see ice skating in your future?

A: (A friend and I) were actually joking that we were just going to quit our college stuff and join Disney on Ice. That would be so awesome because you’d get to travel, but I don’t know if I could physically do stuff like that anymore.

Q: What got you interested in ice skating?

A: I think I was 4 or 5 and I went to visit my uncle in California, and one of the things he had us do was go ice skating and I just picked up on it right away. One of the girls that was there was an ice skater and she saw me and was teaching me all this stuff. I was just so into it and my mom was like, “Okay, I guess we can do ice skating then.” It was a little unexpected.

Q: How has ice skating enriched your life?

A: I love sports in general so it got me into a lot of other ones. I have so much muscle from ice skating so I was a thrower for track in high school. It’s made me be able to do a lot of other fun things that I like. The whole competition thing is really fun. You get to get all dressed up. It’s funny because I wasn’t very into it at the time, but now that I look back I think it was so much fun to get dressed up and travel.

Q: You have talked a lot about traveling. Where would you want to go next?

A: I am such a nerd. I got into literature a lot in high school, and now that I’m done with college, I kind of wish I had done something with literature. But it got me into mythology. So know I’m obsessed with Greece, and I want to go there really bad. So I’m planning on going on a cruise there with some friends through the Greek islands in 2009. So that’s my first goal.

Q: What do you think makes you unique?

Besides ice skating, I have done a lot of things. When I got to college I didn’t do quite as much because I actually had to do my homework. but I was involved in so many things. I’ve done a lot of community service. I volunteered at I Have a Dream Foundation and tutored kids. In high school I was in vocal jazz so I did music, and softball and track. So it was fun to be involved in a lot of different things. I am kind of glad I quit figure skating so I could actually do those because I would have (had) to be at the rink before school and after school and it was really demanding at that point. I’m also a Daniels Fund Scholar.

Q: What is the Daniels Fund?

A: It was set up by Bill Daniels, and he was like the inventor of cable. He created this fund for people who come from lower income families. That’s kind of been fun because I’ve gotten to do a lot of stuff through the scholarship program.

Q: Where did you grow up?

A: I lived in Eerie on a farm until I was about 10 and then I moved to Thornton, so I graduated from Thornton High School.

Q: So you lived on a farm?

A: Yeah. It was really funny because we lived in a part of Eerie they called Chicken City and so they had chickens. We didn’t really do any work. We just ran around and didn’t do much of anything. I think that is why I am so interested in sports because I got to run around and play all day long.

Q: What is your most embarrassing moment?

A: This is pretty typical of me, but my first week at CSU I was wearing a jean skirt and I fell down the stairs in front of Clark. It wouldn’t have been that bad, but the first week of school everybody is standing there. Everyone was laughing at me. I fall down the stairs a lot, but I guess it was bad just because everyone was there.

Q: If you fall down stairs a lot, then how do you keep your balance on the ice?

A: That’s really, really funny. Just talking to people on my team, we are all really big klutzes, but somehow on the ice we are totally the opposite. It doesn’t really make any sense at all.

Staff Writer Laurel Berch can be reached at news@collegian.com.