Authors: Adam Hickman

According to the City Council here in Fort Collins, I am required to only have two other friends, work full time and jeopardize my grades just to live in my own quiet space rather than a rambunctious dorm room, all because of a petty rule to try and keep neighborhoods quiet and inviting.

I recently was house hunting in hopes of finally moving off campus and beginning living on my own, but ran into a road block — the three-unrelated law.

After trying to talk my way through possible solutions around the law, I have realized how big of hurdle it has created in not just my life, but in everyone who wants to start their lives.

The residence halls here have proven to be more of a distraction and I have personally realized this because of how well my floor gets along. We seem to procrastinate rather than doing our homework or studying because there is so much going on in our hall.

In one and half years in the dorm, so far, I have realized how hard it is to concentrate to write a paper when there are other people down the halls having all of the fun.

In an earlier edition of last month’s Collegian, the three-unrelated law was touched upon with an article titled “Watch out for ‘three unrelated,'” written by Director of Student Legal Services Kathleen Harward.

Near the end of the article she said, “Intuitively, it seems to infringe on many rights we take for granted, such as freedom of association, freedom of contract and equal protection (it targets the young, poor and single).”

Young, poor and single is the average college student. I am a student here at CSU and can vouch, along with many others, for this.

I am paying for school with money I do not have and I am definitely not in a financial situation to get married (because of school).

School and work are not just parts of a simple routine, as most of us know, but very stressful in trying to stay ahead of the game without falling behind on grades, work or rent.

A simple solution that could help landlords and students along with other people of Fort Collins is to have a residency limit, but a higher limit than three.

This would help students with cheaper rent, which results in more money to pay for school and/or less time in the workplace and more time to study for their education.

I recently viewed a house that was listed as a three-bedroom house, which suited the needs of my prospective roommates perfectly. Soon after entering the house we found out that it actually had five bedrooms.

The landlord listed it as a three bedroom to ward off bigger groups of people looking to rent for more than three people. She also listed it as such because the extra two rooms totally go to waste due to this law.

We did like the 2500 square foot house and it was definitely in our budget of under $1000/month, but we don’t have enough furniture, beds, and other necessities to fill up a house of that size.

Maybe if there were four or five students that could live in that house the excess space could be put to good use.

This affects more than just students. Renters, knowing students are in need of housing all year long, are forced into lowering their monthly rent price because it’s impossible for three full-time students to make payments of $1200 or more regardless of how many bedrooms the house has.

Higher occupancy limits — for example five-unrelated people as opposed to three — will benefit communities, students, landlords and real estate agents by putting more money in renter’s pockets along with students, as well as bringing the stress level we have all grown to love down.

Three-unrelated, however, just isn’t doing it.

Adam Hickman is a freshman open option student. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.