Authors: Matthew Pucak

It was a historically bad final score on the Moby Arena scoreboard at the end of the game Wednesday night, but the Rams weren’t ashamed.

They were proud of a hard-fought 44-40 victory over the Denver Pioneers, a game which had the fewest points scored by two teams in the 41-year history of Moby.

“It was ugly but effective. At the end of the year, all you’re going to see is a W,” said CSU coach Tim Miles.

It was a game that lacked flow and saw neither team lead by more than five points, and the Rams felt that was due to the Pioneers schemes.

“Anytime you go against the Princeton offense it is going to be frustrating, and it is just multiplied with them playing a match-up zone and a 1-3-1 zone. You have to work the ball around and you can’t get your set plays off. It’s just a grinding process,” said senior center Stuart Creason, who was held to just eight points while being surrounded by multiple defenders in the paint.

Junior guard Marcus Walker scored 13 points for the Rams, and no other player reached double-figures for either team. Three players had nine points, Willis Gardner for the Rams, and Adam Tanner and Joe Jackson for Denver.

The Rams led 27-23 at halftime, and after the lead changed hands a few times in the second half, they were able to extend the lead to five with 3:10 left in the game.

Denver hit a couple of 3-pointers down the stretch to cut the lead to 41-40 with 11 seconds remaining, but freshman Josh Simmons made 3-4 free throws to ice the game.

The previous record for fewest points was a Rams’ 45-42 victory over Wyoming in 1979.

The Rams held Denver to 34.1 percent shooting for the game, including a 4-25 showing from 3-point range.

“That is what happens when you miss every shot you take,” DU coach Joe Scott said. “We could have won the game if we could hit the broad side of a barn.”

Sports writer Matthew Pucak can be reached at sports@collegian.com.