ASAP helps students manage

Authors: Nikki Cristello

With the pressure of exams and the holidays closing in, some students are finding more reasons to be stressed.

During this difficult part of the year the Associate for Student Activities and Programming (ASAP) is working to help some students stay in control.

Take for example Lara Adamson. On her way to try and find her lost notebook with all of this semester’s notes, she stopped by a table on the Plaza to grab a free gift bag and a cup of hot chocolate, courtesy of ASAP.

“This is the time of year where you need someone to show you some love,” Adamson said.

She found out about the free goodies from a friend who had hot chocolate and said she was jealous.

“If I find my notebook today and get this stuff, it will be an awesome day,” Adamson said after asking where the lost and found was.

“But if I don’t find it, at least I have some stress-less stuff,” she said.

Special events coordinator Ashley Blocton and assistant special events coordinator Christina Hoover were operating the tables while weary-eyed students gratefully took the bags and hot chocolate.

The gift bags, stuffed by Blocton, a senior psychology major, and Hoover, a junior restaurant and resort management major, included cough drops, a granola bar, tissues and tea for the health of students. For the less serious side of students, there were stress balls and silly putty to take school off student’s minds, even if just for a moment.

This is the third semester ASAP has supported students during the last week of class with free goodies. Blocton said the tables will return in the spring.

“It’s fun to help students stress less about finals,” she said. “Plus, it’s free.”

The 500 bags only lasted about two passing periods, Blocton said.

The weather helped to draw students to the hot chocolate, Hoover said.

“It’s cold out and people see the hot chocolate and bags and have to come check it out,” she said.

Assistant news editor Nikki Cristello can be reached at news@collegian.com.