Robinson cut from roster

Authors: Aaron Montoya

Former CSU star forward Freddy Robinson, whose quest to make the NBA was profiled across two pages in the Collegian Tuesday, learned Wednesday afternoon that he had been cut from the 16-man roster of the Sioux Falls Skyforce, a team from the NBA Development League, officials said.

Robinson, who graduated last May, was scheduled to board a plane late Wednesday in South Dakota to return to the Fort Collins home he shares with his longtime girlfriend, Jennifer, and their 3-year-old son.

Mike Gorsett, a Skyforce assistant general manager, confirmed Robinson’s cut from the roster but said the 23-year-old could have a chance to play in the D-league again.

Robinson signed a one-year contract with the D-league, Gorsett said, which means he cannot play for any other basketball league here or abroad for the next 12 months. But, if an active D-league player is injured, in Sioux Falls or elsewhere, Robinson can be called back to play.

Once a player is active in the D-league, he is eligible at any time to be called up into the NBA. If Robinson should return to Sioux Falls and be called up to the NBA, he could eventually play for the Minnesota Timberwolves or the Charlotte Bobcats.

Several weeks ago, the Collegian decided to profile Robinson’s quest to reach the NBA through a series of photographs and interviews. Go to collegian.com for photo essays and to read more about Robinson and his journey to the big court.

Visual Editor Aaron Montoya can be reached at photo@collegian.com.