Authors: Nick Hemenway

If you are reading this, you owe me five dollars, due tomorrow.

Why, you might ask? Because I need it and you can afford it, that’s why.

Obviously you have enough money or at least can access enough money to pay thousands of dollars in tuition, so you shouldn’t have any problem coughing up a measly five dollars to me, right?

As ridiculous as that seems, it is the same logic that Barack Obama is using to get at our money.

It is no secret that in order to make a lot of money, you need to work hard to get there. Apparently this principle isn’t very clear to some people.

On Sunday, Barack Obama told Tim Russert on Meet the Press that should he be elected president, he would promptly raise taxes in order to pump more money into social security.

This is par for the course coming from a Democrat. Though if he were an experienced Democrat, he would have followed it with a comment about how the rich get more money from Bush’s tax cuts compared to some middle-class family who is struggling financially, then ended the scenario by blaming Bush for “global warming.”

Unexpectedly, Obama actually admitted why he would tax the rich, by saying “I think a lot of us who have been fortunate, are willing to pay a little bit more.”

I guess Obama feels he can tell us how we want to spend our money.

At least he wasn’t as oblivious as former congressman Dick Gephardt (D-MO), who referred to the wealthy as simply the winners in life’s lottery.

Despite what these people may think, with the exception of Paris Hilton, the wealthy people in our country are so because they have worked hard to get ahead in life.

Maybe that’s too complex of a concept for Democrats. After all, most in Congress are former lawyers and have never been accused of working an honest day in their lives.

When Russert asked Obama if he would be afraid to tell people that he is willing to raise their taxes in order to fix things, Obama replied by saying “The best option would be to make sure that those who are in the best position to help solve this problem are willing to do so.”

So what gives Barack Obama the right to determine who can afford what? Who has the right to determine whether or not someone is in the “best position” to help? What if someone isn’t “willing” to pay more — can they choose to not pay their taxes?

No one should be able to make those decisions for anyone except for the people themselves.

Just because you are here at CSU while others are not, it doesn’t necessarily mean that you can just give up five dollars to some genius columnist at the Collegian.

We need to stop thinking that raising taxes is the only way to fix a leaning budget. Instead we should have the knee-jerk reaction to limit federal spending, which could lead to the demise of frivolous government programs.

One of my favorite conservatives, G. Gordon Liddy, once said, “A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money.”

Obama and his fellow Democrats are a case in point.

Nick Hemenway is a senior mechanical engineering major. His column appears Wednesdays in the Collegian. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.