Authors: Elden T. Holldorf

Pioneering the first test tube horse, discovering ways of extending mares’ and stallions’ fertility age, and transferring, preserving and manipulating horse embryos are all in a day’s work for CSU professor Dr. Edward Squires.

Squires, also director of the Preservation of Equine Genetics (PEG) program at CSU, was recently inducted into the Equine Research Hall of Fame during a ceremony in Lexington, Kentucky, on October 8.

“His contributions are really like no other-what’s now considered routine in the field was probably started by Dr. Squires,” said colleague and fellow CSU professor, Dr. Jason Bruemmer.

Squires was unanimously chosen by a panel consisting of the previous inductees of the elite Hall of Fame. Since its conception in 1990, only 18 international individuals have been inducted, with 12 of those honorees inducted in 1990.

“It was quite a surprise and quite an honor,” Squires said.

Currently, Squires is actively working with PEG, developing and perfecting techniques that can be put into practice in the equine industry. Right now they are working on early-stage mare (a female horse) pregnancies, and how a mare knows she is pregnant.

“One of the things PEG and CSU are best known for is how we learn the problem, solve it and quickly transfer that to practical use in the industry,” Squires said.

Although Squires’ career is marked by baffling scientific jargon such as artificial insemination (in vitro fertilization) he may best be known for his ability to bridge the gap between science and practicality.

“So many faculty have a particular narrow facet of study they focus on. Dr. Squires has multiple interests within the horse industry and is well-known in breeding/ranching circles as well as the scientific community,” said CSU professor and colleague, Dr. Patrick McCue.

Squires also travels and is well known around the country and internationally, generating enthusiasm and monetary contributions for the program at CSU.

“He has been an amazing person for the entire university- all the money he has brought in and contributed,” said Bruemmer. “He’s green and gold all the way through, and he’s a hell of a lot of fun to work with.”

Squires first developed a passion for horses at a young age when he went to work on a farm at the age of eight.

“I had a practical background, did a lot of riding, and decided to put the education with it,” Squires said.

Squires has been the recipient of numerous awards and honors during his 32 years at CSU. He has also written extensively on the subject of equine science and is the editor-in-chief of the Journal of Equine Veterinary Science. He continues to teach at CSU.

Staff writer Elden Holldorf can be reached at news@collegian.com.