Authors: Cece Wildeman

In accordance with Native American Awareness Month, the Fort Collins Museum is teaming up with Native American Student Services and the History Department at CSU to raise awareness about current issues regarding native culture.

As part of the month of awareness, “Playing Indian” by Philip Deloria will be the subject of discussion and dialogue for a series of book club meetings. The first of the three meetings will take place at the Fort Collins Museum today from 6:45 to 8 p.m.

The book addresses Native American issues in modern society, such as how they have been misrepresented and stereotyped, said Gregory Smoak, assistant professor of history at CSU and the moderator of the first meeting.

The book club was organized to help raise awareness among CSU students and Fort Collins community members about the representation and misrepresentation of Native Americans throughout history, Smoak said.

“It is also important to increase the relationship with CSU students and the Fort Collins Museum,” Smoak said.

This is the museums’ first attempt at a book club, said Kerry Doyle, the curator of education at the museum. Doyle said this is a good way to bring awareness about both past and present events involving Native Americans.

“It is important for people to have opportunities to learn about different cultures and traditions, and this is just another way to teach people that,” Doyle said.

Dialogue about the integration of Native American people into modern society and the selling of their culture are valuable topics for today’s society, said Seraphina Wall, the assistant director of Native American Student Services. Seraphina said this is a good book and that it is important to discuss Native American culture.

There are 25 seats available for the meetings and registration is still open. Joining the book club is free, but members are required to purchase the book on their own. “Playing Indian” is available both at the Fort Collins Museum or the CSU Bookstore.

Deloria, will speak at CSU on Nov. 15 at 7 p.m. in Yates 104. Students may also visit the Native American Student Services Web site to view the full roster of events regarding Native American awareness month.

Senior Reporter Cece Wildeman can be reached at news@collegian.com

What: Book Club Meetings

When: November 7,14, 28 from 6:45- 8 p.m.

Where: Fort Collins Museum