Authors: Cece Wildeman

Off Campus Student Services and Student Leadership, Involvement and Community Engagement (SLiCE) are working together to promote student volunteerism on campus during national non-traditional student week.

In an effort to inform students about the various volunteer positions in the Fort Collins community and overseas, a presentation will be held in room 230 in the Lory Student Center today at noon.

“For students to be able to connect with individuals in the community is a big plus,” said Melissa Emerson, who is an avid volunteer and works in the Office of Off Campus Student Services.

Emerson has worked as a volunteer at CSU with the Adopt a Neighbor program as well as with the CSUnity program. And volunteering for programs such as these not only benefit the recipients of the volunteer work, but also benefits those volunteering, she said.

Some of the students who have volunteered in the Adopt a Neighbor program have developed long-lasting relationships with the senior citizens they volunteered for, Emerson said.

Today, Emerson will be discussing her stories about volunteering in Uganda, where she volunteered at an orphanage for the duration of one summer.

The theme for the 3rd annual non-traditional student week is transformational learning and this is the first year a theme like this has been presented.

And with the slogan, “Who are you? What calms you, fills you, moves you,” the Office for Off Campus Student Services (OCSS) aims to show students various ways they can strengthen their internal resources, said Jan Rastall, assistant director at OCSS.

“We hope to get students to think critically about the value of self reflection and learning about who you are”, Rastall said.

The program is set up to help students learn how to calm hectic situations in their lives, said Rastall. She wants students to look at CSU in a different way and learn about other people’s experiences in volunteerism so that they can become the best person they can be once they graduate. This is a challenge to invite students to look inward and realize how that plays a role in their education, she said.