Authors: Brandon Owens

The 20th-ranked CSU Rams volleyball team swept the San Diego State Aztecs on Sunday afternoon (30-21, 30-24, 30-20) to regain momentum in its chase for the Mountain West crown.

The Rams (17-5 10-2) completely dominated the Aztecs (12-10 4-8) in every category and nearly doubled SDSU in hitting percentage – .504 to .269. CSU’s junior class (outside hitter Jaime Strauss, middle blocker Mekana Barnes and setter Ashley Fornstrom) played an outstanding match.

Strauss had a double-double with 17 kills, 10 digs two assists, a block and a .548 hitting percentage. Barnes had 18 kills, four blocks, an ace and a .517 hitting percentage. Fornstrom had 57 assists, five kills, four digs, an ace and a .833 hitting percentage.

Coach Tom Hilbert was thrilled about the way the Rams dominated on the road.

“This was the best match on the road this season for our passing and serving,” Hilbert said. “Our hitting was just ridicules. Everyone contributed to this win.”

The Rams were playing a make up game, re-scheduled from Oct. 27 because of the wildfires in California.

Sunday’s match was the second time CSU defeated SDSU this year. The Rams beat the Aztecs at Moby Arena on Sept. 27 in three games.

Freshman outside hitter Jacqueline Davisson also contributed to the Rams victory. She had two kills, two assists, a block, an ace and a .500 hitting percentage. Hilbert noted her significant role and gave Barnes’ performance a lot of credit.

“Jacque did some great things and Mekana was on fire,” Hilbert said.

Hilbert noted the importance of the solid road victory with three out of the last five matches on the road.

“We really needed this going into the road trips we have coming up,” he said.

CSU hosts the Wyoming Cowgirls at Moby Tuesday night at 7.

Volleyball beat reporter Brandon Owens can be reached at sports@collegian.com.

Player of the Game:

Jaime Strauss

17 kills

10 digs

2 assists

1 block

.548 hitting percentage