Authors: Chad Taylor

841 miles. That’s how far it is to the University of Montana; the closest school to CSU with a logging sports team.

This fact has a lot to do with why CSU’s logging sports team hasn’t hosted a competition in over a decade. That will change Saturday.

CSU logging sports is set to host four other schools in a unique competition that will feature several types of log chopping, log tossing, and ax throwing.

Adams-Atkinson Arena and the surrounding grounds will play host to the competition, which is located just off of Overland Trail at the CSU Equine center.

Events will start at 8 a.m. and will take place throughout the day, culminating with the team chop competition around 4 p.m.

The competition will be unique to the logging sports world because it takes place in the fall, and it will not include any sawing events.

The competition will feature the vertical chop and the horizontal chop, which will take place inside the arena.

Saturday’s events will also include several throwing events. The caber toss, where individuals throw a log weighing over 100 pounds, and the pulp toss, where smaller logs are tossed between teams of two, will join the ax throw outside the arena.

Schools that will be participating include Washington State University, the University of Idaho, the University of Montana, Central Oregon Community College and CSU.