Authors: Matt Stephens

A season ago the Colorado State women’s basketball team was 1-1 in exhibition play with the loss coming at the hands of in-state foe Metro State at home. Wednesday the Rams again played host to the Road Runners with hopes of earning content after last fall’s upset. Unfortunately for the Rams, that did not happen as they fell 55-42 in a game ruled by turnovers.

With nine total newcomers on the a squad that only returned two starters, it’s not uncommon to make mistakes on both ends of the ball, but 18 total turnovers and other mental errors were not the only reasons the Rams fell victim to Metro, as CSU shot a mere 32.5 from the floor to go along with its 56 percent shooting at the free throw line.

“We took a lot of good shots, they just weren’t falling,” said sophomore forward Juanise Cornell, who was had seven points on the night. “We seemed to be tentative to ‘step outside of our box.’ When we were given open jump shots, we just couldn’t hit them.”

The Rams held a 24-20 lead going into the locker room at halftime as their defense stood firm, holding the Road Runners to just 32 percent from the field.

“In the first half we did a very good job following the game plan and forcing Metro State away from the paint and into tough one-on-one contested shots.” said third-year coach Jen Warden. “In the second half, we had to continually remind ourselves defensively that even though that want to play harder and create something, we have to play smarter and do the exact same thing.”

If there was a silver lining in Wednesday night’s affair, it would have to be the getting the newcomers actual game experience at Moby Arena. The newcomer that was most impressive had to have been freshman forward Lauren Young, who tallied 4 points, 3 rebounds and 2 steals in her first collegiate basketball experience.

“It was a lot of fun out there, a completely new experience from high school. It’s a much bigger court, which I had to get used to with a lot of preseason,” said Edina, a 6-foot-2 Minnesota native. “It’s always hard the first game, you come out a little nervous, but I think most of [the newcomers] settled in late in the first half.”

Up the next for the Rams is CSU-Pueblo Saturday afternoon at 2 in Moby Arena. Coach Warden plans to take what she has seen in CSU’s first exhibition game as a lesson learned into Saturday’s game.

“I just wanted to see where we were tonight,” Warden said. “You’re looking at nine newcomers who have never played division one. We’re going to learn it and put it together, but our upside is going to come quick.”

Player of the game:

Sophomore Forward

Juanise Cornell

7 points, 9 rebounds, 2 assists.

3-3 from the field.

Cassandra Bratton