Authors: Adam Bohlmeyer

Four days after their most lopsided and frustrating loss of the season, the CSU volleyball team is looking to bounce back quickly.

The Rams (15-5 9-2) were swept for the first time this season by conference foe University of Nevada, Las Vegas last Thursday.

Junior setter Ashley Fornstrom said that the team was down about the defeat, but that they have to get over it quickly before it has negative effects.

“Everyone took it hard,” Fornstrom said. “It surprised us. We knew that UNLV was good, but they came out a little better than we expected. You just have to get over it. You can take a moment after the game, but then you have to move on. If you dwell on a loss it can haunt you for the rest of the season.”

The Rams have an opportunity to get back on track as they head south to take on the University of Denver tonight.

On the season, CSU is 3-5 away from Moby arena, including conference losses in Utah and Las Vegas. With five of their final seven regular season matches on the road, the Rams know they have to figure out a way to win on the road consistently.

Sophomore Tessa Nelson tries to see the good things that come from a loss.

“We have to take everything positive we can from it,” the middle blocker said. “It is just a matter of improving and knowing games are within our control and not let it affect us that we are not at home.”

Coach Tom Hilbert said the best way for his team to return to normal is with a win.

“We just have to play another game and get it out of our system,” he said. “It is difficult to lose in three, and we were never really in the match. It is a feeling we haven’t had in a long time. The loss is not an indicator of who we are.”

As the Rams take a break from conference play atop the Mountain West standings, they’ll face a Pioneers team that has put together a solid season so far, posting a record of 17-10.

Hilbert is impressed with the team DU has assembled.

“This is the best Denver team since they have been division one,” he said. “We have to take it seriously and look at it as an opportunity to go compete against someone who is going to compete hard against us.”

Although CSU remains a half match ahead of UNLV, Fornstrom knows that they still have an uphill battle to clinch a regular season title.

“If we want to win our conference, we have to win every game from here on out,” she said. “We can’t take any breaks or underestimate any teams because if we do it will come back to haunt us like Vegas did”

Volleyball beat reporter Adam Bohlmeyer can be reached at sports@collegian.com.

Team comparison

Record Kills KPG Assists Blocks

CSU 15-5 1238 17 1116 471

DU 17-10 1572 16.2 1434 366