Authors: Elizabeth Fritzler

Among the most recognized CSU music programs is the Virtuoso Concert Series. Since Oct. 5, sponsors Great Harvest Bread Company and the School of the Arts have presented instrumental concerts by faculty and guest performers.

“These concerts have been happening for years,” explained Jeanna Nixon, Director of Marketing and Publicity for the Arts. “But it’s called the Virtuoso Series starting this fall.”

All concerts feature Meet the Artist receptions after the performances, complete with complimentary refreshments from Great Harvest Bread.

Additionally, Master Class sessions are held periodically as supplementary events. The top students in the music department are taught by Virtuoso performers, Nixon said.

The most recent Master Class was Saturday with guest pianist Yakov Kasman.

Kasman also performed at Griffin Concert Hall on Sunday, as well as the opening for the Center for the Arts in 2004.

One audience member at Sunday’s performance, who preferred to remain anonymous, said of the concerts, “we enjoy them. The seating is great – you can have any seat and it still sounds wonderful.”

Tonight, Griffin will host CSU faculty member Gary Moody on the oboe. His performance is titled Other Side of the Coin.

Moody will play Alec Wilder’s “Piece for Oboe and Improvisatory Percussion,” Walter Piston’s “Suite for Oboe and Piano,” and Malcom Arnold’s “Sonatina for Oboe and Piano.” His most anticipated piece, however, will replace the bassoon part of Francis Poulenc’s “Trio for Oboe, Bassoon and Piano” with oboe melodies.

By Internet announcement and word of mouth, Virtuoso has grown in popularity over the years. Taylor Schlepp, a student in CSU’s Music Appreciation course, said “the Virtuoso Series has also been advertised in class.”

The Virtuoso Series runs through Nov. 12, with the last concert featuring Scott Turpen on the saxophone. Tickets are priced at $5 for students and $10 for non-students.

Staff writer Elizabeth Fritzler ca be reached at verve@collegian.com.

AT A GLANCE

The Other Side of the Coin

Dr. Gary Moody, Oboe

Tonight, 7:30 p.m.

Griffin Concert Hall

Tickets: 970-491-4TIX or visit the Campus Box Office at the Lory Student

Center