Tickets go fast

Authors: Nick Hubel

Following a reported “malicious, external attack” to the ticket servers, Colorado Rockies World Series tickets were back on sale Tuesday afternoon, though not for long.

By 2:30 p.m. all of the tickets were sold, a total of 17,000 to 18,000 for each of the three games in Denver.

Rockies spokesman Jay Alves cannounced to reporters in front of Coors field Tuesday that all the tickets had been sold, saying to fans who missed out, “we do feel sorry for you. We are sorry.”

At one point in the sale, tickets were moving as fast as 1,500 per minute to Rockies and Red Sox fans alike.

At CSU, a few students managed to score tickets by combining persistence, patience, strategy and a whole lot of luck.

Sitting at a computer in the Clark building for more than two hours, Laura Waldchen, a junior technical journalism major, finally saw her screen flicker from a busy server message to a purchase screen in the middle of her copy editing recitation class.

“At about 11:40 I came down and I had two computers going,” Waldchen said.

After receiving confirmation of the tickets, Waldchen smiled with excitement, jumping out of her chair to call her family.

Waldchen said that she and her husband, Steve Szczecina, would probably take his grandparents, who are lifelong Rockies fans, to the possible series-clinching game 4.

“The original plan was to sell them,” Waldchen said of her third-deck seats. “But we’ll probably end up taking (Steve’s) grandparents. It will be like the true baseball experience.”

With tickets going for as much as $10,000 for club level seats on stubhub.com, Waldchen said that she would have no trouble getting rid of the tickets if they chose to sell them.

For students who don’t have the cash to get their tickets from an online auction site, the Fort Collins Downtown Business Association announced Tuesday that they would be showing Saturday’s game 3 on a 12-foot screen in Old Town Square, free of charge.

According to the business association, there will be bleachers set up and hot dogs for fans, who are encouraged to wear their Rockies gear. Saturday’s game starts at 6 p.m., but the downtown big-screen will be on at 5 with pre-game coverage. The weather forecast has a high of 56 degrees for the showing.

The World Series starts Wednesday night in Boston, where the Rockies will play two games Wednesday and Thursday before flying back to Denver. The series’ first pitch is set for 6 p.m. MST.