Authors: Jessi Stafford

Driving under the influence (DUI) has affected the CSU campus and the surrounding community for decades. In Larimer County, 51 percent of fatal motor vehicle accidents involved alcohol in 2005, according to the Larimer County Web site.

Nationally, there were more than one million DUI arrests in 2005 and more than 16,000 resulted in death, according to FBI.gov.

Gaining Understanding through Involvement, Diversity and Education (GUIDE) is aiming to inform students about the realities of drinking and driving with the “You Drink & Drive, You Lose . But Why” campaign.

From 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on the Lory Student Center Plaza, a police officer will recruit students to wear beer goggles while riding a tricycle through a course. Then, from 7 to 8 p.m. in the Durell Center DC Bottoms, a four-member panel will discuss information related to drinking and driving.

“We don’t want to preach,” said GUIDE member Carlos Guillen. “We don’t want to judge anyone, we just want them to know the facts.”

A DUI, on average, costs more than $8,000 for a first time offender with a clean driving record. And most offenders lose their license as well as their car insurance, according to the Colorado Department of Transportation Web site.

These topics, among others, will be discussed during the panel, with a question and answer session taking up most of the allotted hour.

The panel will be made up of a police officer, an attorney, a member from Ram Ride and a past DUI offender. Each will discuss background information and their experiences with alcohol related offenses in Larimer County, said GUIDE member Christy Cleaver.

Reports given to GUIDE about DUI arrests show an increase this year from years prior, said Guillen.

It’s difficult to say why there has been an increase, he said, and hopefully the information students take with them after the panel discussion can help with this trend.

Both the event on the plaza and the panel discussion will have snacks and root beer, Cleaver said, and both events are free.

Associate news managing editor Jessi Stafford can be reached at news@collegian.com.

——————————————

Have Your Questions Answered

What: DUI panel discussion

When: Today 7p.m.- 8p.m.

Where: Durrell Center DC Bottoms