Authors: Nick Hubel

At 10:00 a.m. Monday morning students filled university computer labs and fired up their in-class laptops in search of an illusive World Series ticket.

Suffice to say, they were not alone.

A reported 8.5 million hits flooded the Colorado Rockies Web site in the first hour and a half of the sale, overloading the servers and shutting down students’ hopes of a trip to Denver to see the first World Series in team history.

Heather Schanaman, a junior finance major, said that she skipped her honors finance class while her boyfriend missed the start of his work to try to get tickets – all for not.

“It kind of sucked because I was missing class and my boyfriend was late for work for nothing,” Schanaman said.

After delaying the sale around noon because of an overload on the Web site’s server, the team announced Monday evening that tickets will go on sale again Tuesday at noon.

CSU student Matt Montoya, a self-described member of the Red Sox-hating Yankee Nation (though a Rockies fan on the side), said that he was trying all day to get tickets with friends but didn’t come up with much.

“It was quite an experience; I basically tried all day,” Montoya said. “By 9:45 you couldn’t get a computer in the library. I was in there from 9:30 until 11, and I only heard one cheer.”

In fact, less than 500 of the estimated 50,000 tickets (17,000 to 18,000 for each of the three games in Denver) were sold through the failing system, according to a release from the team.

In a statement in front of Rockies fans at Coors Field early Monday afternoon, Colorado Rockies spokesman Jay Alves said that they were working to correct the problem and hoped to have sales back up online as soon as possible, although that hope never materialized.

“We are as frustrated and dissapointed as (fans) are,” Alves said. “Still, we felt that (online sales) were the most fair and the best way to distribute tickets.”

Other members of the Rockies organization expressed their disappointment Monday on the team’s website.

“It’s been an extremely frustrating morning for our fans and the entire Rockies’ organization,” said Keli McGregor, Rockies’ team president and CSU alum, in a statement on coloradorockies.com. “We are working diligently with Major League Baseball and Paciolan (the ticket hosting site) to resolve the issues impacting online ticket sales for the 2007 World Series.”

When sales do resume, tickets will range from $65 for Rockpile seats to $250 for lower club seats. Buyers are limited to buying four seats per game.