Poetry slams CSU

Authors: Griffin Faust

CSU and the Creative Writing Program of the English Department offer a free event that features the prestigious authors from the region.

Tonight, the series brings a special occasion to campus this year. Six well-known poets are visiting to read and sell their work.

The Fall CSU Creative Writing Reading Series presents the Grayrock Poetry Festival, taking place tonight from 4:30-6:00 p.m. and 7:30-9:00 p.m. in the Hatton Gallery.

Typically, the Reading Series bills writers from the community, CSU faculty members, MFA students or visiting authors with acclaimed work. Tonight will be the first of an annual event that brings six poets before one microphone.

Tonight’s guest poets are Kevin Prufer, Wayne Miller, Josh Kryah, John Gallaher, Amy Catanzano and Bhanu Kapil.

Tricia Lincoln, Assistant to the Director of the Reading Series and Creative Writing MFA student is organizing many of the necessary components the series needs this fall.

Lincoln said most times, an English graduate student or John Calderazzo, English professor, will suggest practical and worthy writers to invite to CSU.

“We really try to get a wide range of fiction, non fiction and poetry writers to read their most acclaimed work,” Lincoln said.

So far, she said, the series has been a success. The Hatton Gallery in the Visual Arts Building is ideal for what the Creative Writing Series uses it for.

“Hatton has an artistic setting,” Lincoln said, “important for literature to be received and a great place for members of the community or interested students to get acquainted with visiting authors.

The CSU Creative Writing Series offers its next reading after tonight with CSU English professors Steven Schwartz (fiction) and Dan Beachy-Quick (poetry) on Nov. 1 at 7:30 p.m. in Hatton Gallery.

These events, including tonight’s Grayrock Poetry Festival, are free to the public. Refreshments will be available and a chance to talk with the writers and get books signed is encouraged.

Staff writer Griffin Faust can be reached at news@collegian.com.