Play tackles family issues

Authors: Valerie Hisam

The paradoxical play, “The Marriage of Bette and Boo,” opened Thursday in the University Center for the Arts and it has received some admiration from audience members and performers alike.

“The show is basically about a really messed up family,” said Elizabeth Nodich, senior theater major, who plays the main character Bette. “I’ve found out that the audience can find their own things to relate to, and that a lot more people deal with more than I thought they did.”

The play, which is based on the life of the writer Chris Durang, focuses on a dysfunctional family dealing with alcoholism, multiple still births and a plethora of other mental and familiar problems. But through the play, the comedic timings and quick, witty punches make the hard-hitting problems not so serious.

“We have found out that the humor is a really good way at sending a serious message,” said Soleil Lean, senior theater major who portrays Joan, an angry, constantly pregnant sister. “We’ve had a good response about the play being about how serious life can be and in the midst of being so crazy, things can still be funny.”

Nodich agreed that there has been nothing but positive feedback for the play, and “a variety of people can connect with a variety of things.”

“People think that the play is funny, but they have also been able to understand the seriousness in it,” said the Assistant Director and Stage Manger Annaleigh Timmerman, who is a junior technical journalism and theater double major.

Timmerman hopes the play will have some lasting affect on the audience members.

“We want the audience to go away with knowing what they have and appreciating it and not being so critical,” she said. “It’s about learning that you can’t distance yourself from life and about recognizing the good.”

“The Marriage of Bette and Boo” still has five more performances, one per night beginning tonight and going though Saturday starting at 8 p.m. There is a final matinee on Sunday at 2 p.m. Tickets are $7 for students, $14 for seniors and $16 for everyone else. These can be purchased at the Campus Box Office in the Lory Student Center, (970) 491-4TIX, or at http://www.csutix.com/.

“We want the audience to go away with knowing what they have and appreciating it and not being so critical,” Timmerman said. “It’s about learning that you can’t distance yourself from life and about recognizing the good.”

Verve reporter Valerie Hisam can be reached at verve@collegian.com.

See It:

October 17, 18, 19, and 20 at 8:00 p.m.

The last performance is scheduled for Sunday, October 21 at 2 p.m.

Studio Theatre, University Center for the Arts

1400 Remington Street, Fort Collins

Tickets are $7 for students, $14 for seniors and $16 for everyone else can be purchased at the Campus Box Office in the Lory Student Center, (970) 491-4TIX, or at http://www.csutix.com/.