Authors: Brandon Owens

COLORADO SPRINGS – The 23rd-ranked Rams volleyball team dominated the Air Force Falcons 3-0 (30-21, 30-17, 30-21) Thursday night, even while resting kill leader Jaime Strauss.

CSU (12-4, 6-1) was able to mix things up a bit by playing some younger players. The Rams have now won 12 of their last 13 volleyball matches.

“We played a lot of young players tonight and they really made the difference,” coach Tom Hilbert said.

Two freshmen, Danielle Minch and Jacqueline Davisson, cane up huge for CSU. Minch had 10 kills and four blocks and Davisson had four kills, five digs and two blocks.

Along with Minch, right side hitter Tonya Mokelki added 10 kills and four blocks. Mekana Barnes also had a solid night with eight kills and six blocks. Setter Ashley Fornstrom was also outstanding with 46 assists, eight digs and three blocks.

Hilbert stressed the importance of improving their serving and passing this week and it paid off Thursday. The Rams limited their serving errors to seven and had 56 digs with zero return errors.

The Falcons were led by Michelle Harrington who had 7 kills and 4 blocks. Air Force remains winless in Mountain West play over the past three years.

“Passing and serving well on the road was one of the things we really worked on,” Hilbert said. “It came together really well for the young players tonight.”

CSU will now travel to Wyoming to play the Cowboys (7-8, 2-5) Saturday night.

Volleyball beat reporter Brandon Owens can be reached at sports@collegian.com.