Authors: Erik Myers

Former CSU fraternity Sigma Alpha Epsilon will again attempt to claim recognition status from members of the Interfraternity Council. The revote on the matter will take place during the IFC meeting 4:00 p.m. on Monday.

The IFC has twice rejected reinstitution bids from SAE since the fraternity was stripped of its status after a 17-year-old girl nearly died of alcohol poisoning at the chapter house last October.

Sigma Chi representative Nick Guistino proposed that discussion be held among council members should SAE be dealt another rejection. According to Sigma Chi President Scott Leturno, the discussion would detail specific criteria SAE could meet to be reinstituted by the council.

David Sparling, SAE president, said the chapter had taken a number of steps in seeking the IFC’s approval: a “house cleaning” that cut 45 members from the chapter, higher GPA requirements and a renewed focus on philanthropy and service events. Such changes, however, have not been enough for the approval of the council.

“I think a lot of people find it hard to believe that we’ve made so many broad strokes in such a short amount of time,” Sparling said. “There’s still ill sentiment about the bad publicity we got last year.”

To regain recognition, 75 percent of council members would need to cast approving votes. Sparling feels confident that things will be different this time around.

“I feel like the last vote occurred because several (IFC) members weren’t sure what they were voting for,” Sparling said. “But now there might be more emphasis on determining exactly would be best for IFC, SAE, and CSU.”

Should SAE regain recognition, Sparling said the chapter would begin working with IFC and CSU officials to get the chapter running again as a colony chapter. In the case of rejection, Sparling said SAE would continue pushing for recognition.

“It’s been a very rough experience, particularly for all the members that were asked to leave the chapter,” Sparling said. “But we really feel like, after all of the pain and work we’ve gone through, we can really contribute more effectively.”

Greek Life at CSU has struggled with its image since the SAE incident, just one of a string of alcohol related incidents within the Greek system, including the death of sorority pledge Samantha Spady in 2004. Jarred Quintana, the IFC’s president, said that the cleanup process was ongoing.

“The fraternities want to maintain the right image and maintain the right values and morals; we’re all working on trying to make a positive Greek image.” Quintana said.