Authors: Aaron Hedge

Student organizations and the CSU Police Department have teamed with the Associated Students of CSU (ASCSU) to prevent dangerous drinking at football game tailgating parties.

The 16-year-old program, called Positive Impact, is designed to bring a safe tailgating environment to Hughes Stadium. Volunteers of Positive Impact encourage tailgaters to refrain from activity for which the police could reprimand them.

The goal of the program is to reduce the risk of accidents and the amount of tickets given out at games.

“It’s a cool way to do some community service in a different way . I guess that’s what I like most about it,” said business finance junior Grant Borgen, who volunteers for the program with the Alpha Tao Omega (ATO) fraternity.

Volunteers walk around the parking lot handing out plastic cups in exchange for glass bottles, ensuring that tailgaters are wearing wristbands and keeping the peace, preventing fights and rowdiness.

Borgen said it’s more exciting than picking up trash and painting decks as community service.

“Our president had to break up a fight last weekend,” Borgen said of the California State game earlier this semester.

One volunteer found the incident to be funny.

“The first thing they tell you is speak away from the microphone and he just starts yelling into his microphone and people couldn’t even understand him,” said business administration sophomore Jon Morris, another volunteer with ATO.

But Morris said rowdy tailgaters are generally cooperative.

“People are really cool when you’re just like ‘You know, . I have a cup for you here. There’s a cop right over there – he’ll get you in trouble for it. I’m just here to tell you that you could get in trouble,'” he said.

“It’s really a chance for (people) more like your friend(s) to tell you to stop, instead of police,” he said.

But Zane Guilfoyle, director of Student Services at ASCSU, said that some students think Positive Impact is trying to get them in trouble. He said they are there to “serve as a gentle reminder to students at the stadium to settle down.”

If things get out of hand with tailgaters, CSUPD intervenes.

“The cops totally have our backs,” Borgen said.

The CSUPD supports Positive Impact 100 percent, said Jackie Swaro, spokeswoman for the department.

“Positive Impact is a tremendous asset and the university is fortunate to have their assistance,” she said.

Senior Reporter Aaron Hedge can be reached at news@collegian.com.