The Sky May Be Falling

Authors: Nick Hemenway

Like many of you, I went on an emotional roller coaster this past weekend. At the end, I was sad, depressed, humiliated and confused, left asking myself, what is going on with Colorado sports?

In a game that is becoming too familiar, our Ram football team failed to get the job done again.

This most recent loss on Saturday came exactly 364 days since our last win, in which the Rams defeated UNLV 28-7 at Hughes Stadium, making this the worst start to a season since 1988.

You know Ram fans are depressed when a cloud blocking the sun can make the student section cheer, and the chants turn to “Let’s Go Rockies!”

As if that wasn’t enough, Sunday was a record-breaking day on the field at INVESCO Stadium, but not the good kind.

The Broncos’ devastating loss was Denver’s worst home loss since 1966. It was only the third game over Head Coach Mike Shanahan’s tenure in Denver that yielded no touchdowns. The Broncos’ run defense, ranked dead last in the NFL, gave San Diego QB Phillip Rivers his first career rushing touchdown.

On the upside of the weekend, the Rockies slugged their way into uncharted territory by sweeping Philadelphia to get into the National League Championship Series.

For the first time in a decade, I found myself watching an entire baseball game.

In addition, the Avalanche displayed the power of their new roster by unloading a 6-2 destruction of the San Jose Sharks.

The entire weekend, I thought I was in the twilight zone, and the last time I checked, I have never used an illegal drug.

This time last year, both the Rams and Broncos were off to 4-1 starts to their seasons, while the Rockies were practicing their golf swing after another disappointing season.

Oh how things can change in one short year.

What we are seeing is an evolution in the world of sports.

In an era driven by lightning fast media with athletes signing multi-million dollar contracts, sports teams are realizing that just like any other business, they too are putting out a product for all to see (success or failure), in hopes of luring customers (fans watching their games and buying their merchandise).

Now that the Rockies are the hottest in baseball, winning 17 of their last 18 games, Coloradans wearing brand new Rockies hats are lining up to buy playoff tickets, many of which are being sold on eBay for thousands of dollars.

Meanwhile, down the street, the Broncos finished their dismal game to the boos of only a handful of angry fans.

Just like the business world, when things go south, changes must be made. Our Ram football team needs a change in pace.

What those changes entail is the debate of the year.

If I had it my way, Klay and Klint Kubiak would give their dad Gary a call and tell him to come home and call plays for the Rams. If that doesn’t work out, we bring in Mike Ditka; he can even wear his Bears sweater vest if he wants.

You may call me crazy, but if you walked down the street six months ago saying the Rockies would be sitting four wins away from the World Series today, people would say the same thing about you.

Nick Hemenway is a senior mechanical engineering major. His column appears Wednesdays in the Collegian. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com