Authors: Robyn Scherer

This fall, most Colorado sports teams have failed to deliver what the fans want – A win!

So thank God for the Rockies!

The Broncos posted an embarrassing loss to the Chargers on Sunday, losing 41-3 – the second loss in a row.

The Rams football team lost on Saturday – again. This is the 12th consecutive time.

When all others fail to bring home the big W, the Rockies have done the remarkable. For the first time in franchise history, they advanced into the national championship. This is only their second playoff appearance time since their first 1995.

Our epic journey began at Shea Stadium April 5, 1993 against the New York Mets. Dwight Gooden pitched a three-hit shutout.

With the exception of the 1995 season, the Rockies really haven’t given fans much to write home about.

Things are different now.

The Rockies were the underdog this past week in the series against the Philadelphia Phillies. Many people gave them no chance of even winning a single game, let alone sweeping the series in three.

Sportscasters seemed extremely surprised that they pulled off this remarkable win. They, like many others, were unwilling to give them a chance and acted like the Rockies just got lucky.

On Saturday, the Rockies proved they deserved more respect than that.

Coors Field was filled with 50,724 fans for their only home game of the series. I watched the game from home and saw thousands of screaming fans waving banners, pom-poms and brooms.

That’s right – fans were ready for a sweep and that’s just what the team delivered.

So the Rockies advance to the National League Championship Series, where they will play the Arizona Diamondbacks starting Thursday.

The Rockies are on a roll. They have won 17 out of the last 18 games they have played. In the last three games against the Diamondbacks, the Rockies have one two. They won ten out of 18 games against the D-backs all season.

Will they win this weekend? I think the odds are pretty good.

Now amidst all of the excitement, there are some skeptics. Not, of the team, but of the fans.

Some die-hard fans are angered at all the new people that have jumped on the bandwagon.

To these critics, I say so what?

At least there are fans. Everybody has to start liking a team at some point and why not now? Yes, these fans may not be as loyal as those that have been there through thick and thin, and they may never don their Rockies gear around campus again. But who cares?

So my suggestion? Come join the bandwagon! Feel free to jump on, and enjoy the ride.

Also, while you are at it, why don’t you stay awhile? You never know, it could be fun. With so many other teams becoming more of a disappointment every week, everyone needs a little something to cheer for, and the Rockies are hot right now.

I am proud to see every single Rocky fans coming out of the woodwork.

Even at the CSU football game on Saturday, people in the crowd were cheering “Let’s Go Rockies!”

I couldn’t agree more. Welcome to Rocktober!

Robyn Scherer is a junior agricultural science major. Her column appears occasionally in the Collegian. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.