Our View: Free speech

Free speech is apparently still alive and well in Fort Collins.

Thursday night, the Board of Student Communications held its final meeting and came to the conclusion that Editor in Chief J. David McSwane will not be fired for the Editorial Board’s Sept. 21 Our View.

They instead chose to formally admonish him for violations of Student Media and the Collegian’s codes of ethics for both the use of profane language and a lack of professionalism.

They determined, however, as an opinion piece, the editorial was protected by the First Amendment, as we have been asserting all along.

This comes as great news for us, and great news for every American that still believes in the Constitution of the United States.

In a time when it seems our civil liberties are disappearing faster than the polar ice caps, it is reassuring to know that our Bill of Rights still amounts for something.

This has been a difficult time for all of us, but we hope that it is something we can soon put behind us as we continue our quest to grow as students, journalists and human beings.

We would like to thank everyone who showed up at the BSC meeting last Wednesday or wrote a letter in to support us. You all are probably the only reason we made it through this controversy.

Despite this victory, we still have a long way to go.

We have lost advertisers and readers and need to put in a lot of work before we can get them back.

To repair the damage, we’re going to do what we do best /- report the news.

Regardless of what detractors may say, the Collegian isn’t going anywhere.

You can expect to see us every day for the rest of the semester, and then again in the spring. It will take far more than four words and a media storm to bring down your student paper.

And to the CSU College Republicans – we would like to congratulate you on your decision to start a competing paper.

Good luck. We’re sure Fox News will be very kind to you when you alienate the liberal college population.